Graves de Vayres
|Cépages||80% Sémillon 20% Sauvignon|
|Sol||clay and chalk|
|Age moyen des vignes||28 years|
Length 18 days
Just 20 minutes from Bordeaux, in the heart of the Bordeaux vineyards, the Graves de Vayres region, situated on the left bank of the Dordogne river downstream from Libourne, is famous not only for its fine wines.
Vayres is a proud and ancient town, with the terraces overlooking the Dordogne bearing evidence of man’s presence there in prehistoric times.
The period of the Roman occupation of Gaul saw the widespread planting of vines.
Vayres is situated near the Voie impériale, a Roman road that runs from Bordeaux to Périgueux. The Emperor Octavius understood the strategic importance of this place, and after the barbarian invasions, built a castle on the banks of the Dordogne, which under the lords of Vayres became a military strong-hold and a symbol of feudal power.
This fortified residence, now protected as a historic monument, was one of the main fortresses of Aquitaine and merits detailed study.
The name "Graves de Vayres" has been in use since the nineteenth century, and became an official "appellation" in 1931.
Notes de dégustation
The wine has beautiful reflections of pale grey gold, delicate of aromas of hazelnut and butter; its elegant character is very refreshing in mouth.